Finally, after months of poring over guidebooks and websites about DC, I have finally gotten a chance to see it in all its glory. Tita Elaine and Tito Eddie drove me around for a little while before they went to work, showing me Georgetown and Foggy Bottom, then dropped me off at a branch of Borders bookstore where I stayed for an hour. I'm still not used to converting Philippine money to dollars so it was hard deciding on a purchase. I actually walked out empty-handed, and because I didn't wear any socks on new sandals, I got sore feet.
Dude, this is it. Last Chance.
Think I need one?
Here are some pictures I took of Downtown DC. I love how it's fine to spend time in their benches, read a book, eat lunch and not worry about getting mugged or trampling on the homeless' territory. (How ironic, but in the Philippines, it is a reality.) I have seen a couple of homeless people, but I just wasn't sure if they were Mexican, Filipino or another, because being in a multi-cultural city, it's really hard to tell.
One must not be too comfortable with this safety feel, though. DC has a very high crime rate--besides military and intelligence activities--the concentration of which is in the Southwest Area--a predominantly black community where the murder rate is 30/month, or 1 daily. Most of these deaths are drug-related. My school, American University, is in the Northwest quadrant, a wooded suburban area, so I should be fine.

Flowers on a street corner
The Washington Monument.
Trivia: There is a building restriction in DC that prohibits buildings to rise beyond 15 floors. This is so that nothing will obscure the majestic view of the monument and to protect the White House from unwanted surveillance.
I was too tired to walk because of the blisters on my feet so this was my only shot of the Smithsonian Institution castle. After taking this shot I practically crawled my way to the Federal Metro station to get back to Tita Elaine's office, where I was meeting her for lunch.
Toddlers on a field trip.
Here are some pictures I took of Downtown DC. I love how it's fine to spend time in their benches, read a book, eat lunch and not worry about getting mugged or trampling on the homeless' territory. (How ironic, but in the Philippines, it is a reality.) I have seen a couple of homeless people, but I just wasn't sure if they were Mexican, Filipino or another, because being in a multi-cultural city, it's really hard to tell.
One must not be too comfortable with this safety feel, though. DC has a very high crime rate--besides military and intelligence activities--the concentration of which is in the Southwest Area--a predominantly black community where the murder rate is 30/month, or 1 daily. Most of these deaths are drug-related. My school, American University, is in the Northwest quadrant, a wooded suburban area, so I should be fine.
Trivia: There is a building restriction in DC that prohibits buildings to rise beyond 15 floors. This is so that nothing will obscure the majestic view of the monument and to protect the White House from unwanted surveillance.
I usually really, really love walking. Tomorrow I plan to go back to DC and will now make sure that I bring comfy shoes. More pictures coming up!

0 comments:
Post a Comment